Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Starting the Soap Switch

So we've begun. Thanks to solveeczema.org I have a clear game plan of how to start changing my home into a safe zone for Sam's skin, and I started today! Just me and my one bottle of Dr. Bronner's, we sure put a dent in things today.

Started off collecting all of the detergent products in the house (except for toothpaste, deodorant, hair gel, make-up) and putting them all away under the upstairs bathroom sink, with a childproof lock on top.  I poured out all the icky chemcially hand-soaps, rinsed the containers with scalding hot water and refilled with 1/4 Dr. Bronner's liquid soap and the rest water.

Ran first load of dishes with pure soap. Ooops.... I must have got carried away because I read later in the day online you're not supposed to put soap in a dishwasher. Haha... no suds luckily but it did leave a white residue. Oh well.  Note to self: get a soap product made specifically for automatic dishwashers!

Started my first "superwash" load. I did towels (so I'd have something safe to dry Sam with out of a bath), two crib sheets, and rags. Later realized I should have thrown a pair of his pajamas in.   This first superwash took from about 9am to 2pm.  I did two soap & baking soda washes followed by one plain soap wash followed by one vinegar wash (probably wasn't necessary) followed by two hot water washes.  I will not always have to wash clothes this way, only the first time because of so many years of detergent build-up in the fibers, one washing to begin is not enough to remove the irritating chemicals.

While my first load was going through all those cycles, I scrubbed the dryer inside and outside, as well as the top and outside of the washer with soap and rinsed with hot water.  I also cleaned all my kitchen surfaces with soap, and sanitized a laundry basket that the towels would go into.

While the first load was drying, I started my second superwash load. This time it was all Sam's clothes since that is most important, before anyone else's clothing or bedding.  I didn't want to do as many washes this time so I just did two soap and baking soda washes, one soap wash, and two hot water washes. (Left out the vinegar wash).

That's a daily total of 11 loads of laundry! I don't even wanna see my laundry bill next month.

While the second load dried I took my Dr. Bronner's magic soap and scrubbed the entire upstairs bathroom so it would be detergent free for Sam during and after his bath. I took a lot of time on the tub to make sure it was especially clean.

Finally, I got Sam's bed ready with a dust- and allergy-proof cover that arrived in the mail today (thanks to DMOPC!) and put on one of the newly soap-washed crib sheets.

Bath time was great! I felt really confident while washing Sam knowing the tub was so clean, and hopefully no detergent residue to interact with his poor skin and set him on fire. His skin was looking terrible by the end of the day today because he really got around on the floor and furniture and soaked up those harsh chemicals. In the bath it was still very red but did not flare up as usual.  Dried him with a safe towel, put on the Aquaphor, newly soap super-washed jammies, and down to bed in his crib.

Phew.  Long day, so much work, and so much more to do in the days and weeks to come but all day I was driven by visions of my baby boy with beautifully healed skin, and no eczema.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. I will do my best to reply as soon as possible, but there are often delays as this blog is only a side project to share what I have learned with others. Life goes on with three busy little ones and homeschooling so I ask for your patience. If you want to make sure you do not miss my reply, include your email in "emailaddress at dot com" form and I will email you directly.

Any product promotion or spam including business links are not permitted and will be deleted. Thanks and happy healing.