Thursday, June 21, 2012

Not much to report.

Not much has changed.  Adam could not find the Lotrimin product, but its just as well because when I looked up the ingredients online I wasn't sure they were all safe anyway.  For the many strengths and the wealth of info contained on the Solve Eczema website, I am still left very confused about the most important thing of all - how to know whether a product is safe or not for detergent-related eczema by reading the label. I feel utterly lost as to what makes something a mild detergent. I know there is more to it than SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate).

In my research I did come across a list of natural anti-fungals. One is raw un-diluted Apple Cider Vinegar with "the Mother"  (that is the term for the enzymatic healing part)  mixed in with bath water. This works just like the bleach, but sounded a lot safer to me! I picked up a jug of this stuff at Earth Fare for about $16 and we've done two days worth of ACV baths.  I also picked up a small dropper sized bottle of Oil of Oregano. It cost me $25. Yikes. For a tiny little bottle. It is also supposed to be a powerful anti-fungal when diluted heavily with olive oil and applied topically. I just applied in a very small spot on one knee yesterday and today. His knees seem to have the thickest and most irritated spots of red.

Sam still appears to look amazing in the morning. This morning I thought, wow, that ACV must have worked a miracle! But tonight at bedtime, same as always, he was very red again.  Even though this has been happening for months, it still shocks me how different his skin can look from morning to evening. I also can't seem to keep my emotions from riding daily on how his skin looks.  It seems my spirits soar when he seems to be clearing, and come crashing down again when I realize he's not.  I have kept Sam covered in long sleeves and pants in the house for the past 2 months at least, and washing with soap every night. If the red was just contact eczema, I should be seeing more of a difference.  A lot of what I am doing is to treating for possible yeast infection, but it could even be something totally different like hypopigmentation which is a documented side effect of the particular steroid cream we used. I read that sometimes this unnatural pigment due to prolonged steroid use can last months or even years when the steroid is discontinued.  I have no way of knowing what this redness is due to really. Since none of the doctors I've been to will even attempt to find out, I guess I'm on my own to figure it out.  The only thing to do really is continue the anti-fungal treatments and continue the detergent-removal and constant dust removal and hope that something will give.

That probably sounds like a repeat of previous posts, but that's where we are.

1 comment:

  1. discovered your blog a few weeks ago .. have done the soap scrubbing / ACV baths .. got some aqhuaphor cream on it's way from the states .. i've noticed a big improvement in my little girls skin already .. and i'm so grateful for your blog. just very keen to know how sammys skin in now .. ??

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. I will do my best to reply as soon as possible, but there are often delays as this blog is only a side project to share what I have learned with others. Life goes on with three busy little ones and homeschooling so I ask for your patience. If you want to make sure you do not miss my reply, include your email in "emailaddress at dot com" form and I will email you directly.

Any product promotion or spam including business links are not permitted and will be deleted. Thanks and happy healing.